You Decide How! Mitzvah Day 2017
Join other members of the greater Harrisburg Jewish community for a day of Mitzvot!
Mitzvah Day is a great opportunity to express our most important values: Kindness, Love, Compassion, & Justice.
Start your day with a mitzvah! Please bring one of the following items:
JFS Food Pantry: toilet paper, tissues, tuna, peanut butter, paper towels or a canned item of your choice.
Mission Central: Bring a 1 Subject Notebook or filler paper up to 150 sheets.
Individuals and families are strongly encouraged to sign up.
Below is a list of the mitzvah day projects. Sign up quickly to guarantee your 1st or 2nd choice.
Projects at the JCC:
1. Help cook meals at the JCC for the Jewish Group Home.
2. Create craft kits for Caitlin’s Smiles. Caitlin’s Smiles helps children with chronic and life threatening illnesses by giving them hope, laughs and smiles. The program encourages them to focus on creative arts activities that boost their confidence and self-worth.
3. Prepare PB&J sandwiches and decorate lunch bags for the Downtown Daily Bread.
4. Create cards for U.S. and Israeli soldiers.
5. Bake goodies for our community heroes. Show our thanks to the firefighters, police and other local community heroes.
6. Assemble butterfly snack bags to donate to a food pantry for those in need.
7. Make dog rope pulls and cat toys to donate to an animal shelter.
Projects Off Site:
8. Play BINGO with the residents of the Jewish Home.
9. Help with basic cleaning at the Ronald McDonald House.
(project geared to middle school aged children and older & parents)
10. Help with basic cleaning at the Capital Area Therapeutic Riding Association (CATRA). Located in Grantville, offers therapeutic riding from 12 months through senior citizens.(project geared to middle school aged children and older & parents)
11. Enjoy a meet & greet, trivia game and sing-a-long at the Residence.
12. Enjoy friendly visits with seniors in the community.
13. Clean and weed the Holocaust Monument.
This is a community collaboration between: Gesher: a joint learning venture between Beth El and Chisuk Emuna Congregation, Hebrew High, Jewish Federation of Greater Harrisburg, PJ Library, PJ Our Way, Rabbi David L. Silver Yeshiva Academy, Temple Beth Shalom and Temple Ohev Sholom.
Funding for this program made available through the Jewish Community Foundation of Central Pennsylvania Jewish Cultural Fund.